- HEIGHT: The preferred height
- Stallions & Geldings
11.3 hh (119.4 cm) to 12.3 hh (129.5cm) at
- Mares 11.2 hh (116.8 cm) to
12.2 hh (127 cm) at maturity.
- GENERAL APPEARANCE OR TYPE:
Definite "pony" character; hard and strong; vigorous and alert and
symmetrical in appearance; mealy muzzle; "Toad eyes".
- HEAD AND NECK: Ears short,
thick and pointed; clean cut face; wide forehead; eyes large, wide apart
and prominent (Toad eyes); wide nostrils; mealy muzzle; clean throat; good
length of rein.
- SHOULDERS: Clean, fine at top,
well laid back.
- CHEST: Deep & wide between
and behind forelegs; ribs long, deep, well sprung and wide apart.
- BACK: Level; broad and level across
loins; tail neatly set in.
- LEGS: Clean and short, with
neat hard feet; forelegs straight, well apart and squarely set; hind legs
well apart, nearly perpendicular from hock to fetlock with point of hock
in line with pelvis bone; wide curve from flank to hock joint; legs free
in motion with no tendency to sweep or turn.
- ACTION: Straight and smooth,
without exaggerated action.
- COAT: Summer - close, hard and
Winter - a double-layered dense coat with an under insulating layer of
fine, springy hair and an outer water-proofing layer of hard, greasy hair.
- COLOUR: Bay, brown or dun,
with black points; mealy colour on muzzle, round eyes and inside flanks;
no white markings anywhere.
- QUALITY: Alert expression and
general poise indicating balance and symmetry of movement; fine clean
a) All Exmoor ponies exhibited in In-Hand Classes shall be
shown in "natural" condition. The following treatments are prohibited:
- Trimming of any area of coat,
mane, forelock, ears, whiskers and jaw line, under-belly, tail or
- Application of make-up or
- Attachment of any false pieces
The following treatments are permitted:
- Washing and brushing
- Application of Hoof Oil
b) Exmoor ponies exhibited in ridden and/or driving classes
shall be shown as in (a) above except that, apart from the legs, they may have
c) Exmoor ponies exhibited in driving classes shall be shown
according to (a) and (b) above, except that trimming of tails is permitted.
NPS America Breed Representative:
See Links section for Exmoor Societies
See the Exmoor photo gallery